Sunday, November 11, 2012

Polyvore: My New Obsession

I found my new favorite website! This does not bode well for homework procrastination problem, but I'm still really excited. It's called (drum-roll please)....POLYVORE! I guess I'm late to hop on the bandwagon, but I'm so glad I found this site. Polyvore allows users to pin images of clothing and fashion to create collages called "sets". The site can also be helpful for shopping since users can search through thousands of products and find new websites. Of course, my sets represent my fantasy fashion. I would never pay even half the cost of most of the items I save. Why buy a $2000 blazer when that money could feed a four person family for almost 19 weeks? That doesn't mean I can't still obsess over these clothes...

Here's an example of a set I made:

A Night on The Town


Alexander McQueen embellished top
$3,175 - harveynichols.com



Helmut Lang printed pants
$400 - glassworks-studios.com


Valentino black ankle booties
forwardforward.com


3 1 Phillip Lim mini bag
forwardforward.com


Anndra Neen choker necklace
tenover6.com



Of course, the cheapest item used in this set is the set of sequins that cost $3.98, and that was just for inspiration. The Alexander McQueen top costs a whopping $3175. Not $31.75, not even $317.50. $3175 for a shirt. A cheaper version is sold here for $96.75, comparatively inexpensive, but seemingly overpriced in my opinion. The $400 leggings seem relatively cheap paired with the McQueen couture. The Studded Valentino Boots rang in at $1495. I understand the pricing on the high quality black leather, but the studding looks like something I could recreate at home.

There are lots of expensive clothes in the world, so what? I guess the point is that people can use this website to create a wardrobe with clothes they can't normally afford. Who doesn't like to play virtual dress-up every so often?

~~Anyway, that's it for today! As I continue to familiarize myself with this website, I'll try to find creative ways to use it in my blog. Bye for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment